An Estimator is needed to join a leading property company based in Bedfordshire, with live residential projects all around England.
Suitable Estimator candidates will have a good understanding of construction estimating methodologies and techniques and will have worked a similar position in the residential sector
An exciting and varied Estimator job role.
You will work on the preparation of high level business and housing project cost and estimating decisions that relate to budget, cash flow and profitability matters.
You will prepare and compare a variety of options relating to the refurbishment and disposal of residential property for the business.
Your employer will be a developer that operates in the construction, regeneration, and refurbishment of homes nationwide across the UK. The company has its own bespoke estimating software.
Working as an Estimator you will be part of the Project Management team, and you will report directly to the Head of Project Management within the organisation.
There is excellent office camaraderie and career development and progression opportunity
This Estimator job is an office-based role, with the flexibility to work from home a few days a week.
Responsibilities and Duties
Estimator job duties will include:
- Quantify & cost plan build costs from limited information to support initial project appraisals
- Appraise land and infill opportunities to deliver fully costed viability studies
- Working closely with the Design Team to identify risk and ensure adequate provision is made with budget assessments
- Working closely with the property Sales Team to ensure that the appropriate costs are included within budgets reflecting the desired specification
- Analyse & vet subcontract tender returns
- Formation of Final Project Budget, ensuring that tendered costs are interpreted and included where possible and that adequate provision is made where tendered costs are not available
- Have a thorough understanding of project, scope of works and restrictions imposed by contractual requirements and site conditions
- Give guidance on possible risks and opportunities within a proposed housing scheme
- Researching the cost of items such as materials, transport, labour and equipment.
- Responsible for the administration, application and updating of the Term Contract Schedule of Rates
- Cost base maintenance and updates
- Be present at pre-tender meetings and carry out site surveys
- Establish opportunities/scope to maximise value
- Assist in the management and preparation of all required specification and contractual documentation for tendering/negotiation of the refurbishment works
Desired Skills and Experience
Suitable Estimators for this estimating job will have:
- at least 5 years’ experience as an Estimator in the construction industry, preferably within the residential, housing or building contracting sector
- an understanding and ability to take off quantities from technical drawings and form a concise budget
- Ability to price from first principles
- Competency in assessing contract documents and contract requirements
- Proficiency with numbers and capability to manipulate mathematical data
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Organised and methodical approach to work
- IT skills, with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Qualification to Degree level in Quantity Surveying, Cost Management or other construction related field would be beneficial
Employing Company Overview and Profile
This employer is a leading and highly experienced owner and developer of privately rented housing in the UK. Their portfolio of homes extends to tens of thousands of units which range from one-bedroom apartments to large family homes.
They offer employees a dynamic working environment, generous salaries and good career progression. Full details of this role and employer will be provided to shortlisted applicants.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
- Generous salary £55-65k based on calibre and previous relevant experience
- Company car + fuel card
- Private Healthcare
- Life assurance
- 25 days holiday allowance + 8 days Bank Holidays