Assistant Project Manager
An exciting client-side Assistant Project Management role based in Cranfield, Bedfordshire to work for one of the largest owners of private residential properties in the UK.
This is a highly appealing role for any aspiring construction project managers, to work with a client who has a unique and successful business model, which offers unrivalled continuity of work for 10+ years.
If you have at least a couple of years of experience in a project management role in the construction industry and would like to join an energetic and highly professional project management team where you will gain experience across all aspects of the project and business; then this role would be a fantastic opportunity for you.
Project Managers for this client will typically get more exposure to the financial and contractual side of the construction process compared to working in typical project management roles in construction.
This is a client-side role, working directly for one of the largest owners of residential property in the UK.
Typical project work will relate to the refurbishment, and some new build of residential properties. Your time will be split between the office, home and visiting your sites to manage the progress of contractors and inspect their work.
Projects can be based anywhere within England and Wales and travel to projects will be required circa once every couple of weeks / a month. Lodging away is incredibly rare, however when required, your costs will be covered by the employer.
Responsibilities and Duties
As Assistant Project Manager, you will report to and support the Project Manager in the day-to-day monitoring, management and reporting of projects. You will work as part of a small project management team of circa 10 people, who are responsible for delivering the planned refurbishment works on a high volume of residential properties.
There are 5 main purposes to this role:
- Project Management
- Financial Management
- Support Sales and Marketing
- Health & Safety
- Training & Development
- To assist in the management of projects from termination to sales including schedule of design/works and all Project Management related tasks as defined within the ‘Project Plan’.
- Updating the ‘Project Plan’, an internal system that tracks key and critical tasks associated with each Project.
- Assist in the management and preparation of all required specification and contractual documentation for tendering/negotiation of the refurbishment works.
- Assist in the management and directing of the pre-start and ongoing review meetings with contractors. In accordance with the agreed procurement strategies and timescales.
- Monitor progress onsite against the project programme. Ensure the Build Handover Schedule is up to date and accurate at all times and to manage the handover of units from contractor to build and from build to sales.
- Manage post completion activities. Including the handover of sites to the management company agents.
- Work with the appointed Principal Designer in issuing all Pre-Construction information and reviewing/approving all Construction Phase Plans.
- Work with the Design and Technical manager to ensure works are executing in line with design proposals and provide feedback to any design issues which may arise onsite.
- Assist in the management and preparation of all required information for the appraisal and definition budget processes.
- Validating Main Contractor applications for payment by reporting on progress and quality of work.
- Assist in the validation of any contract variations and issue of formal instructions
Support Sales & Marketing:
- Ensure that project presentation is of an acceptable standard pre-launch and throughout the sales process.
- Liaise with sales and marketing as appropriate in relation to design and specification.
Health & Safety:
- Implement the Company’s health and safety policy, ensuring that all practices and procedures are undertaken in accordance with a healthy and safe working environment and that all responsible staff are aware of their responsibilities in respect of their role, monitoring data and recommending action as required.
- Ensure awareness and understanding of the Company Health & Safety Policy and the required obligations as an employee.
- Participate fully and effectively in any employee consultations and training sessions.
Training & Development:
- Responsible for identifying and proposing own training and development needs.
- Maintain a reasonable understanding of company-wide issues in relevance to the role.
- Contribute to the efficient operation and positive interaction of and between all property team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
We’re very much looking for someone with a combination of a solid foundation of experience in a similar role as well as someone with ambition and passion that wants to learn new things and get involved in all aspects of the business.
- Candidates will ideally have some post qualification experience in a Project Management or closely related role WITHIN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY.
- Strong self-motivation skills
- Excellent attention to detail and good IT skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- If candidates have experience in budgeting and managing costs it would be an advantage
- Previous experience within the residential sector of the construction industry would be preferred however candidates from all building sectors will be considered if they have the right skills to succeed within the role
- Candidates will ideally be educated to degree level however experience in a similar project management role will be looked upon more favourably than purely having a Degree.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
You will be joining one of the largest private owners of residential property in the UK, who operate in the construction, regeneration, and refurbishment or homes nationwide. This a great opportunity to work with a unique business where you will gain an unusually exciting variety of experience in all areas of the build process, from pre contract stage through to project completion.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Salary: £32k - £40k (Depending on experience)
+ Company Car (BMW / Mercedes / Lexus) & fuel card
+ Bupa Medical Cover for self, spouse and family
+ Life Insurance
+ Up to 10% discretionary bonus (Based on performance)
+ 25 days holiday allowance
+ All lodging expenses paid (where required)